View Single Post
Thread: [Community] Community Outreach
Originally Posted by sir View Post
I think you're overestimating how much TC/ST gets generated by different sources and kinda missing the point of new market.

Players who actively participate in ES events, do marketing and use daily rewards as their main source of Toribash "income" - they're all different (often not even intersecting) groups of people. Daily rewards were mainly introduced as a way to allow beginners and amateur players to get TC without having to grind 24/7, but they're also a drop in the ocean for any established player who'd focus on marketing or playing in tourneys/events. It's also wrong to assume that every player gets 3K TC + 1 ST weekly - there's only a small number of people who actually keep the streak to be able to claim 800 TC and 1 ST rewards on 6th and 7th days respectively. A little over 75% of all players who claimed their reward this week didn't continue their streak and over 93% of players are within their 3-day streak (350 TC total).

The number of players who can "easily get 19 ST" in an event is so insignificant that it's not even worth bringing them up. Of course there'd be pro replay makers or duelers who'd wreck any relevant event they come across, but don't forget they've played for years and mastered the game so they kinda deserve that? It's not like anyone can just play for a few weeks and make enough ST/TC to buy a void pack, so I'm not sure what's the point you were trying to make there.

What's more, different types of players spend their TC/ST differently - a beginner/amateur user is more likely to get their items from the in-game shop rather than wait for an offer in market. They usually want to actually get the item too instead of maxing out on the resell value like the marketers do (which is neither good nor bad - but it does heavily affect how your shop/market usage). At the end of the day, most of the TC spawned by login rewards ends up either abandoned on the account if a user stops playing or it goes back to the shop when they buy from it.

Market tax, however, is primarily targeted at long-time players who'd be more involved in trading - it takes the "live" TC out of circulation and tries to keep the economy healthier by reducing inflation. It's been added so we have a sustainable TC sink that doesn't rely on manual labor, be it creating new items for the shop, coming up with yet another "sell a 100-symbol-long bit of html code as a usertitle and charge 200k for it" sinks and so on. New market provides you access to a way wider audience than the old one, gives you more features and the tax is relatively conservative (you'd likely pay more to your government if you wanted to buy a can of coke in your local grocery store). It does potentially hit big marketers who trade items that are worth ~million of TC total per month, but they can purchase a market premium subscription to both get their shop featured, make their offers more competitive and earn more TC by not having to pay the tax.

The "why have login rewards if learning curve is too steep" mindset sounds exactly like "why have healthcare system if there's garbage on the street" to me. Learning gameplay mechanics is barely related to the ability to customize your character in-game, and you definitely don't improve one by making it harder to make use of the other.

but in my view that huge grind that the new players have to make to get TC in the beginning its what makes them survive the learning curve, and just as i said, whats the point of making a tax in the market that you can simply chose to avoid?
every player would rather send a message to someone that have the item they want in the market and buy it so the seller doesn't pay any tax and the buyer will buy it cheaper? in long term i see people driving away from the market simply to avoid taxes or simply getting shiais to buy the full packs