last night i experienced a life changing album.

Elliot Smith's self titled album.

I heard Needle In The Hay watching a movie the other night with my boyfriend. I knew that i knew this song from somewhere though nothing had every clicked with me then, but something about that moment maybe it had to do with my boyfriend being there, or the movie itself, whatever it was it inspired me to listen to the whole album. Everything about this album is amazing, from the recording quality, the production, the vocals, the emotions, the lyrics, the guitar work, Elliot's voice, all of it comes together into this beautiful short personal expression from someone nobody alive would ever think to question the authenticity of. In of itself all the things i listed would already make it one of my favorites of all time, but on top of everything its all so catchy. Every song unfolds so naturally with such beautiful progressions, and vocal melodies that are unforgettable from an earworm perspective, and an emotional perspective. This album absolutely broke me, i have naturally very dry eyes so its very hard for me to cry, and this listen was the closest i have been to crying in a long time, even longer crying to art. Giles Corey makes me feel a similar way, i find comfort in horribly depressed art like this. It almost feels like a hug from a loved one, a worse off loved one who has their own problems you can relate to. While it would be very difficult for me to talk about each and every song without repeating myself, St. Ides Heaven is too much not to talk about. His vocals on this song specifically are haunting, his playing in this song from the intro walks this crescendo into an unexpected but amazing triumphant melody i wish lasted a million years that collapses into a jaw dropping vocal moment. The playing walks again away from the climax, and begins to climb again but fizzles out in a way that isn't unsatisfying in any way. I don't yet have an interpretation on what the lyrics could mean, but i adore the way everything is phrased. Listening to it back i still feel that pulp form in my throat, and i can feel myself frown in the most comforting way. I wish i had the intellect to describe just how i feel about this album, but if it helps drive it home this is the first album i have gave a 5/5 on rym during the first listen in 2 years, and this is my 12th 5/5 ever out of over 600 ratings now. I seriously adore this album despite only having heard it all the way through twice now, and i already have so much emotional attachment to it. I couldn't recommend this more to anyone.

-----

Hypermagic Mountain, Lightning Bolt

This album sounds like a washing machine perfectly synced by the most absurdely complicated drums predicting every random movement the washing machine makes, except replace the washing machine with the absolute most gigantic fucking bass tone ever. Unhinged, feral, and relentless, Lightning Bolt will demonstrate their pure power in every single one of their songs, every single one makes me feel like i'm having the best panic attack ever. The impeccable bass playing from Brian Gibson is in complete control. Dominating every song with everything from overpowering thuds of electricity, to random noises, and ambience on Infinity Farm. Working in tandem with the Brian Chippendale's absurd from a robot standards, and vocals that sound like they're coming from a mic from 1953. This whole album is a wild ride that will keep you on your toes every single second.

updated the resolution of my topster to make all the 5/5s be nice and tidy
Last edited by Nurse; Jan 23, 2023 at 01:48 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
shelby#8266
listen to my music! | commission me!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
#freeskizzify