View Single Post
Thread: [Will Not Be Implemented] Upgrade tori control system | IK controls
to clarify, talking about
Noribash Text

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
Ok I found dah argument to put down that idea. Here it is: some legends, about 5 if I'm not mistaken, got the legend title because of their perfect control on the joints. So you're telling me we should put a simple system so everyone can be as good as them? Sure not, that will just make them look bad / stupid.

shit happens, if the game is 11 years old and was made before IK became an industry standard doesn't mean it should cling to rudiments

the part about legends i don't understand at all. why do you even care, you are not even one of them, so this part of the argument should be the very least your concern. this is the forum kind of thing that is honestly irrelevant to the game. i mean the whole he/she says on players and popularity contest is irrelevant.

if your concern was that someone thought that somebody thinks that someone was assigned a forum user group that is supposed to mean something for somebody, which have absolutely nothing to do with the gameplay, then my condolences to you, comrade

so please, let's not dive into the forum matters as we are talking about the game, so if your concern was about the skill - re-read these parts please

Originally Posted by snake View Post
okay, look, let's look at the whole thing step by step:

tricks and other cool stuff is bound to person creativity and have nothing to do with the control scheme

for example: i have complete control over tori, however i don't do any tricking, as it's not the thing that makes my mind excited, but on the other hand i can do some cool throws in aikido that the guys who do tricking can't

controls are only the interface we use to interact with the ragdoll, this is universal for all players, while the movement we create is unique to each of us and depends soely on our own decisions

mastering controls does not mean mastering the movement, if we will ignore the barrier of entry (an obligatory mastering clicking on the balls part)
it doesn't matter how easy or complicated the controls are, since it's all boils down to decisions player make, meaning

knowing what to do and when.
FYI, this is what skill universally is.

making controls streamlined will only lower the barrier of entry so more people will be able to pick up the game, however to be good in the game players will still have to know what and when to do, so no worries, it would not remove the skill part, only the unnecessary barrier to entry

-----

Originally Posted by Bowblend View Post
I don't like your thinking Heat "If I spend a lot of time on mastering toribash, everyone should spend the same time! ". Why game must be harder because beginners have to learn how to click on join to tori move correctly not focusing only on good tactics. The legend who can't be good on a simpler control system does not deserve being a legend.

exactly, you see guys, all you need to do is to look on the whole situation from the different perspective,

look at it not from the perspective of the person who got caught wasting hundreds and thousands hours mastering the controls, and then feeling all angst realizing that his efforts were meaningless and trying to justify that this wasted time figuring out the controls wasn't pointless and that everybody should waste time because he did.
and if everyone would just play the game actually instead of mastering the asswards controls, will likely feel left out and stupid, which may cause them to cry, but in all honesty:

we are in 2k18
IK is the industry standard for animation
and ragdoll games are about moving the ragdols to make the movement,
not necessary clicking on balls.

if i was starting the game now - i would drop it immediately, because i can do things faster and much simpler in blender, and most people do drop it because of horrid controls.

the only people that actually stick around are the 2 types of people:
1) those that played it for ages and the control scheme is no longer provide a difficulty for them
2) those who can't run any other games that tb, meaning children on bottom-of-the-barrel low-end hardware

does this sound good to you? lol

stop clinging to archaic, play the ragdoll fighting game, not click on the balls simulator, because if it wasn't obvious already:

controls are just the interface for interacting with the ragdoll, the core of the game is movement.
Last edited by snake; Jan 6, 2018 at 01:42 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15