View Single Post
Originally Posted by box View Post
Is there a specific reason you need to do it in Python? I'm not even entirely sure you need to communicate with the server. If you're working on AI/machine learning in the game I think all you really need is move data which you can get via the Lua functions. If you're dead set on using Python you can still connect to the server (think like Telnet) and parse move data received by the server.

Thank you for your answer!

I am not "dead set" to Python, but a) Python is the "de facto" language for AI/machine learning and b) LUA can be rather limiting in this regard, especially given I am not able to "require" anything ( and c) you could also use other languages than Python).

Could you specify what you mean by "connecting to the server"? I do not mean to connect "to a server", I just want to communicate from lua script to [the other language]. Luasocket library would allow this, but I have not been able to "require 'socket' " it in lua.

But what is this server you speak of? Do you mean connecting to the ongoing game on Toribash via some way like Telnet/SSH? Does that provide the game state and also allow controlling the character? I need to be able to do functionality like lua's "get_player_info" and "set_joint_state".
Last edited by Miffylin; Mar 21, 2018 at 05:34 PM.