Toribash
Hi Larfen, thanks for the post

Originally Posted by Larfen View Post
I would be interested to hear more about your concept of "form", as it's a term that I'm not at all familiar with. It may be a well understood term these days, I wouldn't know. I get the concept of planning your moves and pre-moving joints to get them in optimal positions, but I actually never really thought about aligning my core as something to aim for when I make replays. Is this a utilitarian method for getting the most speed/power? I assume form can be compromised for the purposes of style?

Form simply put is just maximizing both aesthetics and efficiency; when we say good form we typically mean your tori's current position is cohesive and effective. Nice symmetry/alignment (just for example having your glutes be symmetrical, or having your pecs and chest be synchronised and oriented in the same way) and your body not being locked in certain areas during moves are common signs of 'good' form. Also noteworthy that just because something doesn't necessarily abide by one principle or idea does not make it inherently have bad form. It's okay for certain choices you make to negatively impact your form if it is necessary for that movement to do so, but refining the areas where it could be objectively cleaner is important for the long-term quality of your replays. It's going to help you move faster, get the boomhits you want easier, and not be too susceptible to self-dismemberments while doing it.

It's somewhat of a borrowed term from the realism side of things, so you might want to look there if you want a more concrete, objective definition. I'm just loosely connotating it to ukebash because I personally feel that the concept of form is an important fundamental to grasp. The difference here is that in realism content there is a direct frame of reference usually, but in ukebash you're often going to be performing movements that are completely impossible in real life (and so no direct frame of reference), and your goal from that point is to employ concepts such as symmetry and synchronisation to perform the movements you have in mind as easily as possible.

Regarding whether or not form can be compromised for the purpose of style, I personally believe that form would rather be the most efficient and well-executed version of the intended style. The sloppily-made videos are good examples of this, the intended movements are being made while compromising on form even though it isn't necessary to do so, and refining the movement in the areas that I highlighted can make the intended movements easier/faster/more aesthetically pleasing.