Ranking
Original Post
Community Outreach
Hey,

Something that's been on my mind for a while and that I've been meaning to do is having a conversation with the community about what you all would like and what changes you would want to happen.
We can also address any questions or concerns you might have or general things you want to say to our team to improve our communication.
I feel throughout the years the divide between the players and staff has gotten greater and would like to see the connection between us be improved.
This thread is going to, for a while at least, act as a basis for improving community-staff interaction.

Some things that I personally want to improve on and hope will happen:
- Communication
- Game activity
- Game enjoyability
- Events
Along with anything else that might be brought up in this thread.

Let me explain what I mean by improving communication:
There is a giant divide between staff and players.
I understand how frustrated the community might be with staff over things like not being informed about the clan system change and about prizes on events.
We're staff of this game for the players and we’d like to make this more obvious and visible through our actions, and to make sure everyone feels included.

We get a lot of feedback in the form of backlash and banter.
I want to change that and focus our discussions on what the game needs more.
The staff team will listen to any suggestion brought up and try our best to respond to everything.

Regarding game activity:
We all know that the Toribash has been losing players for a while now.
However, there are usually way more beginners online than there are people on the forums if that is any consolation.
This is why we are planning to move even more events client-side soon.
There have already been some very successful ingame events:
- Free Run Frenzy
- Hole In The Wall
These events have gotten amazing participation from everyone, and we want to do more events like this.
We believe that other events whether competitive, art-related, single-player, etc, will benefit greatly by being advertised and run in the game client.
Our main focus will be events focused on beginners, which will hopefully keep beginner retention up.
There are also some plans to make new items which are accessible to and aimed at beginners.

I'm interested in knowing what the community thinks about this.
For the time being, there will still be events held on the forums but as soon as we can get some dev work done to bring everything to the game client, we'll do that.

Regarding game enjoyability:
This is something that we need your input on, this is your game, and you're playing it.
- What kind of changes do you want to see?
There have been some ideas which could change up the meta a little bit in mods like ABD,TK,JF, and particularly lenshu.

If anyone remembers LesDuncan and what he was doing with TPL, it's sort of similar to the martial arts community now, in the way they've hosted fightnight events and they make new mods.
LesDuncan made a version of ABD in which lifting was still viable, however there are walls and a ceiling that prevented it from being a huge difficulty.
This mod is not perfect, but I would like to see what you all think about it.
In particular, what (if anything) would be required for you to consider it a competitive mod?

About Lenshu:
I believe Kane and fl0w have done an exceptionally good job on their winpoint lenshu mod.
When I mention TPL, this is the kind of mod that I'm imagining.
The running issue has been fixed, and a new feature like winpoints were added.
The communities reception on this event has always been good and in a competitive scene most people prefer this mod to normal lenshu3ng.

I'd like to ask everyone a question: when you play the game does it still feel rewarding?
Do you have anything you want to do in the game still, do you want more purpose?
There are ideas like a free battlepass, just quests for rewards.
Another one that we've had is automated tourneys with different rewards, starts at 10 people in the lobby, could be more TC than usual, or rewards from magicalsack(like an automated etourney but with worse rewards) but like stated previously, we're unsure what we should do.

My vision would be making adjustments to every competitively played mod and hosting events in them.
Just with slight adjustments, the way we play these mods is changed and it makes it more fun.

Regarding events:
Historically, prizes for events have rarely been amazing, and I know that there have been players complaining about prizes not being the best and I agree.
There has been a huge lack of competitive events, excluding clan league and WC, there haven't been any competitive multiplayer events hosted in a while.
There are some events that we're working on right now, and would like to get out soon, I'd just like to see what people have to say about TPL.

Summary:
In conclusion, the things that I want to work on are:
- Staff-Player interaction, keeping the community updated and asking for what the community wants
- More client-side events
- Working on different versions of the main 5 mods, seeing if there's any way to improve the competitive mod-list
- Better prizes and events, more frequent events
- Making the game more fun, adding new features to hopefully improve retention, new goals and a sense of purpose
- Any new content that is possible to do

I want to have a constructive discussion about these topics and address any questions or concerns you might have about anything not mentioned in this thread.
The OP will be updated if there's anything to update, and I hope this discussion will stick around for a while.
Thank you to everyone who spent their time on reading.
And if you want a shiai token, feel free to take this survey or spread it around in your circles
MS survey for the dueling community, feel free to take it for an ST. input is immensely appreciated.
Last edited by ancient; Feb 4, 2022 at 07:12 PM.
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
There will be no changes to the market nor items in the near future. Everyone at MS will closely monitor the market changes and tweak what needs to be tweaked, to maintain a healthy economy.

I just asked for transparrency and got the most vaegue response possible, touché.

If you're acknowledging that MS are in charge of tweaking the market, then we definitely need way more transparrency about these decisions. There's obvious conflicts of interest when you got staff who are able to market AND change prices of that market.
i dont like the way the daily rewards functions, like the time between each reward is based off when u claim it, i had a 3 day streak of collecting it and i play a little later one day and my streak gets reset, just seems a little silly. i think it would be better to have it set up where they get the reward by opening the game each day instead of having to go and collect it by pressing a button, would probably make the login rewards a little more consistent instead of having to login at a certain time every day

instead of having it be a 24hour cooldown from when u accept have it go by the day, if u login on the 13th in the morning youll get the reward and if you login on the 14th at night youll get that days reward as well, you could line it up to where u can get 2 rewards quickly by being up around midnight and going between each day, i hope i explained it properly Dx
Last edited by Kirito; Feb 14, 2022 at 03:37 AM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Nomad Moderated Message:
Be more straightforward with your uplifting messages or I'll fucking skin you alive.
eee
Originally Posted by SmaBOOOOOOOris View Post
I just asked for transparrency and got the most vaegue response possible, touché.

If you're acknowledging that MS are in charge of tweaking the market, then we definitely need way more transparrency about these decisions. There's obvious conflicts of interest when you got staff who are able to market AND change prices of that market.

There are no conflicts of interest. Yes, we do market as Market Squad, however; we do not solely and objectively tweak any market changes or market pricing. Do bear in mind that those topics are discussed extensively between us and upper staff. We do keep balance in terms of making sure that users aren't abusing, scamming, or soliciting any item / TC from anyone. Any changes that are made to the market; i.e. the market update, was carefully designed by our devs, and tested extensively before launching. It also wasn't fully launched from beta and transferred to the new main market, until it was proven to be more effective than the last. As far as pricing for items, and the outlying effect of changing or tweaking current prices, that is far from our intent. Any changes of that matter will be brought forth if this topic ever is brought forward in the future.

Do bear in mind, the main objective goal of the Market Squad is to keep the market stable and make sure users are following preset rules. Hope this answered your question

Edit: Charm has more eloquently responded to your concerns below. His overview paints a better picture than mine could.
Last edited by Lucci; Feb 14, 2022 at 01:50 PM.

SMALLMOTHGIRLS4L

we are better than you
Originally Posted by SmaBOOOOOOOris View Post

Since this pertains to the market, I might as well answer it as the MS lead.

From the outside looking in, it's very easy to make bad assumptions. MS has had very little impact on market price fluctuations in items as the majority of the time, price volatility is caused by the owners of a respective item, their demand, and a fluctuation of interest in an item, for whatever reason. MS has not adjusted prices of items since I have become lead and therefore, do not apportion market fluctuation simply on one factor: being the market squad. That's of comparative nature to blaming the stock exchange for a rapid decline in price, no.

Alternatively, transparency is awesome, and I treasure it as a consumer, and, decision-maker generally in life. I am not against a) producing a summary of discussions had or b) actual logs of discussion relating to market changes. However, it should be common knowledge, at least to those I have interacted with within the community: that a lot of market decisions revolve around the majority of users, and, not for the beneficial opportunity for members of the MS. The Market Squad has never been a team to provide only for its own members, and discussions which could include conflicts of interest are handled appropriately to nullify that conflict if you need specific details as to how: "any discussion where conflict of interest arises, either don't give your piece and allow others to discuss." Additionally, as MS lead, I don't have any conflict of interest and will often refer to other upper-level staff due to them having a similar nature of having zero ulterior interests, so, no. There is no conflict of interest when a market decision is needed.

I am also not going to place covenants on what volunteers are allowed to do in a community in which they're sparing their schedules and knowledge at essentially 0 gain. That is counterproductive and would lead to more harm than good being produced.

I am open to more transparency, that is a goal that I hope to achieve in my tenure as MS Lead, and, there is a reason as to why I am actively seeking feedback for potential additions to the current dueling rules, however, the majority of your concerns come from idk.

Nevertheless, have a good day and I hope I've at least rectified MS's position.
I appreciate the responses.

You both approach this conversation in defensive manner though, which there is no reason for. I never accused you of anything. This thread is for discussing things and that's what I'm trying to do. Let me address some specific points though.

Originally Posted by Lucci View Post
There are no conflicts of interest

I don't think it's fair to say that. You might say you have measures to avoid it or nullify it, but there is an inherent conflict in managing the market that you're a part of. Nothing wrong with that if it's handled properly, but you shouldn't deny it exists.

Originally Posted by Charm View Post
From the outside looking in, it's very easy to make bad assumptions.

That's true. And perhaps a few of my points were based on assumptions. But that's because general players have never been informed about how these decisions are made and what's the process of implementing changes. Additionally, when these questions were raised in the past, they were shut down or ignored by staff at the time, which left everyone to make their own conclusions. The quote by sir I posted earlier is probably the only response we ever got about price changes up until now, and it didn't leave a very good impression.

MS has had very little impact on market price fluctuations in items as the majority of the time, price volatility is caused by the owners of a respective item, their demand, and a fluctuation of interest in an item, for whatever reason.

That does exist, sure, but I was talking specifically about instances where items were devalued by relatively massive re-supply or drastic changes to the price. It might have not happened recently, I wasn't around for a while, but it did happen a lot between 2018 and 2020.

Alternatively, transparency is awesome, and I treasure it as a consumer, and, decision-maker generally in life. I am not against a) producing a summary of discussions had or b) actual logs of discussion relating to market changes.

I appreciate it. The changes that I'm most interested about are naturally price changes and re-releases of existing items. As far as I know, whenever these happen they're not even announced, so people might not even know an item they own has been re-supplied or changed price. I'm not saying you have to explain yourselves every time there's a price change, but at least a change log of prices and re-supplies (whenever they happen, or monthly, whatever) would be much appreciated and that's the kind of transarrency I'm mainly talking about. Of course, the more information you can release about market changes the better, but I think it's essential to inform us of price changes at least.

I am open to more transparency, that is a goal that I hope to achieve in my tenure as MS Lead, and, there is a reason as to why I am actively seeking feedback for potential additions to the current dueling rules, however, the majority of your concerns come from idk.

Yeah some of my concerns might sound a bit random depending on how long you've been around the TB market, but I can assure you these aren't random. It's all based on market changes in the past and I'm just re-igniting this discussion that was shut down a couple of years ago. Of course at this point asking to never change prices would probably be useless, but I think we can still meet somewhere in the middle and at least have more information about it.
Last edited by Smaguris; Feb 14, 2022 at 03:32 PM.
In my opinion, things goes and flows as they should be and there are some things that we can’t change even if we want.

Although, we can start moving forward to those points that we can really change and stop being stucked in what it was or what it happened and just start thinking about the whole community and game as the present moment, to the future.

Just, the best of us all.
I'm kinda reheating the old chop here but regarding this:
(Torilegend subject)
Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
SP cup and similar replay-making events are now being discussed. as for legends, you can PM any SMod+ about any legend nomination and explain properly what you think and why you think that. anyone wanting to make nominations should go ahead.
what would you suggest for the ETourney part?

Are there a lot of people making these nominations?
...and if not (or even if there are) it might be a good idea to add some sort of reminder for the community about the opportunity to vote/nominate shortly before the staff want to choose the next legends.

I'm not suggesting any external poll/survey with nick typing because I realize that this could lead to abuse.
Imo simple reminder thread will suffice.
It can be put in the news or at least somewhere in "Tori legends" tab and ofc on discord.
That's just my little suggestion for the future.
Last edited by Bison; Feb 15, 2022 at 08:45 AM.
hurh hurh hurh *chews grass*
I feel like all or most of the problems in the game would solve themselves with more players. Obviously getting the new players is not so easy, but at least here is why I began to play toribash. Maybe think about why you started, too

I downloaded the game because I saw someone play it on youtube. When I first started playing, I did not give a shit about the competitive, more "difficult" mods. Immediately I started playing mods like pendulumjumper (legendary mod) and the one where tori's hands are a sword and a shield, and I loved these mods because they were silly and fun. I was also intrigued by the elo ranking system which was mostly nonsensical but I still loved to see my rank go lower when I won games. I'm pretty sure I got to rank 1 in pendulumjumper because I played it so much. I think there is too much focus on skill-based competition in the game and not enough focus on just having fun with it. It's not fun for new players to immediately start playing black belts in aikidobigdojo or lenshu

What made me move to the forum was the shop. I wanted cool items like other players. That's it, simple vanity

So my best suggestions are add more fun, non-competitive mods to public servers and tournaments and reintroduce a ranking system. The store and market are available in game now so I'm not sure what to do about that. I would also say, when it comes to new player retention, consider that many new players are going to be fairly young, but they are not stupid. Kids these days were raised on the internet, they know how everything works. No need to baby them
Your pal,
crith
Originally Posted by Bison View Post
I'm kinda reheating the old chop here but regarding this:
(Torilegend subject)

Are there a lot of people making these nominations?
...and if not (or even if there are) it might be a good idea to add some sort of reminder for the community about the opportunity to vote/nominate shortly before the staff want to choose the next legends.

I'm not suggesting any external poll/survey with nick typing because I realize that this could lead to abuse.
Imo simple reminder thread will suffice.
It can be put in the news or at least somewhere in "Tori legends" tab and ofc on discord.
That's just my little suggestion for the future.

there's a decent amount of nominations before each new wave of legends has been announced in the past. if anyone is reading this and wants to nominate someone for legend, PM any Smod+ with the name and what they've achieved in their time in this community and why they deserve it.
-----
Originally Posted by crith View Post
I feel like all or most of the problems in the game would solve themselves with more players. Obviously getting the new players is not so easy, but at least here is why I began to play toribash. Maybe think about why you started, too

I downloaded the game because I saw someone play it on youtube. When I first started playing, I did not give a shit about the competitive, more "difficult" mods. Immediately I started playing mods like pendulumjumper (legendary mod) and the one where tori's hands are a sword and a shield, and I loved these mods because they were silly and fun. I was also intrigued by the elo ranking system which was mostly nonsensical but I still loved to see my rank go lower when I won games. I'm pretty sure I got to rank 1 in pendulumjumper because I played it so much. I think there is too much focus on skill-based competition in the game and not enough focus on just having fun with it. It's not fun for new players to immediately start playing black belts in aikidobigdojo or lenshu

What made me move to the forum was the shop. I wanted cool items like other players. That's it, simple vanity

So my best suggestions are add more fun, non-competitive mods to public servers and tournaments and reintroduce a ranking system. The store and market are available in game now so I'm not sure what to do about that. I would also say, when it comes to new player retention, consider that many new players are going to be fairly young, but they are not stupid. Kids these days were raised on the internet, they know how everything works. No need to baby them

Hi. thank you for your nice message.

I also found this game in a similar manner, I can't remember exactly where from first but my earliest memories are of this one guy, he made a video serious about reaching 10th dan black belt by shoveling only, and i watched up until like ep 110 or something like that, he was black belt at that point and then one day suddenly his entire channel is gone and i wasn't able to see his journey. still pissed at that.

there will likely be a rotation of fun-mods in a public server soon, does anyone have any recommendations? i'll likely add pendulum jumper(got a few suggestions now), but other than that i have no idea. ranking system will be reintroduced very soon :-)
-----
Originally Posted by Kirito View Post
i dont like the way the daily rewards functions, like the time between each reward is based off when u claim it, i had a 3 day streak of collecting it and i play a little later one day and my streak gets reset, just seems a little silly. i think it would be better to have it set up where they get the reward by opening the game each day instead of having to go and collect it by pressing a button, would probably make the login rewards a little more consistent instead of having to login at a certain time every day

instead of having it be a 24hour cooldown from when u accept have it go by the day, if u login on the 13th in the morning youll get the reward and if you login on the 14th at night youll get that days reward as well, you could line it up to where u can get 2 rewards quickly by being up around midnight and going between each day, i hope i explained it properly Dx

my apologies for the delay in answering this.

the current daily reward system works as you suggest, it resets at 00:00 server time and doesn't matter when you claim. auto collect will be added however.
Last edited by ancient; Feb 19, 2022 at 04:17 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
pm me your questions or applications

https://i.imgur.com/1GWtVnU.png

dance with my dogs in the night time
cash to burn
To be honest I feel like a battle pass would work really well for keeping new players. But I feel like alot of the old players won't fully appreciate it due to the negative stigma.

The "rewards quest" Doesn't really feel rewarding and ends up getting completely ignored. If there were more stages to it I think it would be really cool.

If we want a positive reaction from it you should make the battle pass and name it something clever to masque the fact that its a battle pas. The battle pass would be really good for in-game event advertising if you made it a mission/assignment.

Also along with what Kirito said about daily reward, it feels super unrewarding when you do the full week of rewards and it completely resets. That's why a battle pass would be optimal. It's a slow increase in better items instead of the constantly repeated 7 day rewards over and over.

Though super unlikely I do think that it would bring a much more broad audience. Whenever I get any of my friends to play the game they always complain that they don't understand it and have a goal.
[dog] Is and always will be my favorite clan