Toribash
Original Post
[Art] The Tree of life

Wips

Going to try some detailed yet smooth art (Inb4Ifail).

Yes, I know about the shadow on the left part of it.

Oh, and I am going to do a scaled down timeline once this is complete ( which it isn't obviously :>)

Oh, and if you want to know how I made the wood I made a vector with a drop shadow, rasterized the layer, then did a tad of dodge and burn, lowered the opacity, duped the layer multiple times, used free transform to create the shapes, merged them all into a single layer and did a bit more dodging and burning.

So far this is stage 1.

The whole art should be around 7 stages or more.

Just comment on the wood so far.

Oh, and I'm doing this with my mouse.

Feel free to ask me any other questions or give me advice.

Edit, Stage 2 NOW WITH EXTREME SKETCH!!

Another edit, Stage 3

Editception, Stage 4

Aprox layer amount currently:

400 (Including flattened layers)
Last edited by notnoob; Sep 6, 2011 at 10:03 AM.
Sold my dog to join RRO
NICE 10/10!

Wait what, its just a poorly made tree. I can see you tried out some new stuff with adding grass etc, but I suggest you try some more before posting your work online, this could be done in like 1 minute so if you took some time to make something better people might bother to even comment it. I don't really see the point of this, because to me it looks like something like this:

And since you are probably a bit older and more developed mentally than this 6 year old I expect more...
When i think about a tree of life i a see a fucking huge tree with a fucking huge trunk.
When you make the BG make sure you make there something that gives the viewer an idea how big it is.
It's All About Expansion
Originally Posted by Ezeth View Post
NICE 10/10!

Wait what, its just a poorly made tree. I can see you tried out some new stuff with adding grass etc, but I suggest you try some more before posting your work online, this could be done in like 1 minute so if you took some time to make something better people might bother to even comment it. I don't really see the point of this, because to me it looks like something like this:

And since you are probably a bit older and more developed mentally than this 6 year old I expect more...

I don't want to spend time on a sketch when I could be actually making progress on the tree itself, but I do understand why people would improve the sketch due to proportions etc.

Currently, yes it is fairly rough and needs work but I am doing it in more of a timeline so the final version will be a lot more clean and will look a lot better than the tree does currently.

But, yeah I do agree with you on the sketch it is terrible. The only reason I have actually done the sketch is so that people can have a vague idea of what I'm attempting to do.

Originally Posted by Danzos View Post
When i think about a tree of life i a see a fucking huge tree with a fucking huge trunk.
When you make the BG make sure you make there something that gives the viewer an idea how big it is.

The whole "Of life" concept was because of the green thing which is going to be something engraved in the tree like a heart.

I might be able to make the tree larger though.

Stage 5 is up now.
Sold my dog to join RRO
Originally Posted by notnoob View Post
I don't want to spend time on a sketch when I could be actually making progress on the tree itself, but I do understand why people would improve the sketch due to proportions etc.

Currently, yes it is fairly rough and needs work but I am doing it in more of a timeline so the final version will be a lot more clean and will look a lot better than the tree does currently.

But, yeah I do agree with you on the sketch it is terrible. The only reason I have actually done the sketch is so that people can have a vague idea of what I'm attempting to do.

Ok so you uploaded 4 wips of a rough sketch and you uploaded the rough sketch so people will have an idea for what you are going to do. I don't really see the point of this, because unless you are going to post something extraordinary super photorealistic there is no need to post such a rough draft and wait over 1 week to evaluate and collect critisism before progressing.

What I find more believeable is that you are really done with this and you might add a branch here and there but this is what its going to look like. Why don't you stop making excuses and start working in photoshop instead, I will check your work in a few months and see if you have progressed even if just a little which I doubt is going to happen.
I kind of thought you meant tree of knowledge and the green thing dangling was a snake. Really elementary so far.
PigeonHive Flap Buzz

make it closer to this and u may recieve some comment about it... There is NOthing to say about your actual work. To me it just seems just a weak troll attempt.
What the hell is that?If you are trolling us,you are a fu****ing genius...But if not....I think you are a 6age old playing with paint(with all the possible respect).
Sorry.
Originally Posted by TomPaine View Post
I kind of thought you meant tree of knowledge and the green thing dangling was a snake. Really elementary so far.

Was going to the heart thing but a snake might be a good idea.

Originally Posted by chicken89 View Post

make it closer to this and u may recieve some comment about it... There is NOthing to say about your actual work. To me it just seems just a weak troll attempt.

Well, I am actually posting each stage to this I am just using a terrible sketch because I can picture it in my head anyway.

Originally Posted by Weddark View Post
What the hell is that?If you are trolling us,you are a fu****ing genius...But if not....I think you are a 6age old playing with paint(with all the possible respect).
Sorry.

Was actually done via photoshop, not with mspaint brushes.

"Oh, and if you want to know how I made the wood I made a vector with a drop shadow, rasterized the layer, then did a tad of dodge and burn, lowered the opacity, duped the layer multiple times, used free transform to create the shapes, merged them all into a single layer and did a bit more dodging and burning."

Since people are attempting to start an arguement I'm going to just replace this stage with the same thing but with a new design.

The tree itself should be done in the next stage.
Last edited by notnoob; Sep 6, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Sold my dog to join RRO