ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
head mapping explained (image heavy again)
Say you want to make a head.... Copy and pasting may be the fastest way to go, but say you want a good type of head.

Here's something to think about while in the process of headmaking, how Toribash maps your head texture on it's models.

By my experience, TB uses spherical mapping. To explain this, here's a normal checkerboard pattern mapped into a sphere

Notice the pinching at the top and the lack of any "squares" and "right angles"
An image copy-pasted on plain has this problem

Most of you (I know I do) want perfect 1:1 textures on the head whereever you look at it, without pinching whatsoever.

However, a grid on a sphere

does not look anything like a grid on 2d

(image is a bit big)

In sphere mapping, the lines are not parallel... In fact, like the name suggests, the follow concentric rings. If you compare the normal grid to the sphere grid when placed on a sphere, the spheregrid looks more regular and has minimal pinching at the top and stretching at the sides.

And also notice the proportions of the concentric circles, they look more like squaredoff ovals. This is the key to spheremapping.
Look at the front view

notice that you see perfect circles. The corresponding area in the spheregrid is oval.

An example:
My old avatar pasted on normally appears as

but when constrained to fit the general flow of the grid(uhhh... squashed to fit the oval)

There... I hope that solves some mysteries of spheremapping and Toribash
To better proportioned heads!
Nice! Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it'll be very helpful.

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
Awesome, how'd you make the sphere grid XD can you make a 128 x 128 version of the sphere grid picture? (when i resize it, it looks like crap.) plus rep btw

Here's the 128x128 map. I personally use the large version then scale the finished head down to 128x128 later.
Yayz! +rep fo' sho'. This is gonna be very helpful .

"i wish i could do that ken watanabe face where his eyes are really wide" -siku 2015
DONSELUKE, MASTER OF LAWSUIT
if you love america please sign this petition
B&B&B&
impressive
[sigpic][/sigpic]
From a looong time ago:
[21:56]<Blam>ManBreakfast: Frunk wants to know why you banned him from IRC
[21:56]<ManBreakfast>oh, fuck
[21:56]=-=Mode #toribash -b Frunk!*Frankie'sip by ManBreakfast
Nice work! I was trying to figure out how explain the texturemapping on the head, but this really nails it! +rep
Check out my head shop! Cheap and cool at the same time!