ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[Tut] Toribash Video Making: More than just editing
This post is meant to cover how I sync and the involvement of editing of Toribash to add more than after effects

General organization and sync

Music Selection

I choose music first. It's the only thing you have the least control over and sets the mood for the entire video. It needs to have distinctive enough sections so that the viewer won't be presented with the same sort of material for too long, or else the music has to be short enough so the viewer won't be bored. I don't just start adding content though. First, I review the song probably 5 times, first getting overall sections, then splitting them into smaller sections. For Promotional Toribash Video, I had set up a sequence layer. I edit the video to sync to this layer and then remove the layer when I'm all done. The letters are an outline form of what I intend to place into the video.

Music Outline Rules

For camera, lower sections are not allowed to do what parent sections do. Large sections generally stick to one style of camera movement, e.g. from lock on target, smooth flight, static angles, and when major sections change, transitions or full frame changes to new scenes are made. Medium sections generally denote a change in camera momentum/direction and stay within a general topic/scene. Small sections generally denote individual contact (punch/kick/dismember), flashes, shakes.

Replays

For sync

Replays generally fit a medium section. I count the number of small sections and select replays that have the appropriate amount of hits. Timing of the replay can be synced to fit the sections laid out.

Special tricks

When overlaying two replays recorded by the same camera path, I record one instance with the game clock HUD on and one off. You can align replays together by the game clock, even if the sections will be time stretched. This is how I do the transition in Inquisition Clan Video.

Replays can also be stitched together by editing the file. You can copy the end position of Tori and start a new replay with Tori starting in that position. See Toribash: Attacked.

Mod Editing

Mods altering physics or containing invisible instagib obstacles. Dramatic events on demand! ToriVideo Twist and Shout

Editing mod obstacles to alter their appearances. Clan 42 Video

Don't forget Atmosphere script. You can do more than just add background.

Textures

Yes, you can make new sets, but you can also greenscreen parts of textures. DAT Chronicles

Conclusion

There's more to edit than just the captured video. These things can really make your videos stand out. It's not a comprehensive list, but enough to give ideas on how to make that special touch.
Last edited by FNugget; Sep 8, 2013 at 01:35 AM.
You just gave editing a whole new meaning. Well, to be more precise, your old videos did. I guess it's time for more people to start noticing because this NEEDS to be seen by many today's editors. The whole in-depth aspect of it really got me thinking how many possibilities there truly are and how bland newer videos look compared to some older ones which obviously have a lot more effort put in them.

Much kudos for taking your time and pulling out a tutorial like this. Re-watched all your videos again, and I'm very glad I did.
I play games and lift weights.
Honestly, new video editors really have me beat on after effects video editing. There is some really nice stuff out there. They aren't bad, they just aren't using the manipulation of Toribash to a high degree.

BRB, editing OP to have other works.
Last edited by FNugget; Sep 8, 2013 at 01:34 AM.
That may be true but I'd actually prefer if people started manipulating Toribash more. (I will actually slowly try to do this in my future videos)

I'm not a huge fan of the bright color correction and fancy plug-ins that are out there nowadays. But people just start screaming at you if you don't do that because it became somewhat like a 'must-have' thing which really annoys me. It seriously got me sick and tired. More editors are getting this habit and so all the videos look the same. Rarely see something original.

Another bad thing is if someone's video is shining everyone else WILL try to copy it and thus the percentage of originality we see slowly but surely lowers.

I strongly encourage switching up the style every now and then. People shouldn't be afraid of change.
I play games and lift weights.
True, some editors learn to adapt, I really appreciated your work when toribash was still young, I look back and still find something in your work that really stands out, and that's how unique it was back then

Once I get my new computer, I'll learn from the best
Glad you made this, I get the impression that people feel a bit discouraged to make videos because nowadays the popular edits use After Effects/Sony Vegas, and the non default plugins Twixtor and Magic Bullet Looks. If you don't use these, you'll get posts in your thread like "no sync, shitty color correction, bad transitions". The popular style of editing at the moment (trap, dark shaders, twixtor/mbl) looks great when done right, but otherwise looks a poor attempt at copying other people. More variety would be great. I think one of the problems is that there aren't many tutorials up to date like these.
Moved to the correct board.
And FNugget, not sure if it's me being on my phone while posting this, but wouldn't it be smart to show one of your videos to demonstrate how your technique works out?
I bought a subscription to Wibbles so I think this quote is necessary,
"Be careful when gazing into the void, for it gazes back"
But what happens after steam remember how many people will come then the videos we make will or might ... Well... They would look....umm lame think about how many are professionals
Nonetheless great tutorial
Toribash attacked is one of my fav
how many are professionals

Maybe, but knowing some steam users, they probably think if they can edit COD vids they can
edit everything the same way. But I don't want to repeat the discussion that Humper and FNugget made.
Great Tutorial, btw. Really defines the word "video-making", not just "editing".
~I make videos and stuff~
x_O