Ranking
Originally Posted by C0XY View Post
YEAH lets incorage players to use cheap, uninteresting and over-rated moves.
Akido isnt a quick Qi or TC mod, its a game of skill. Using these move can take away that skill.

Yes, I'm encouraging them to use cheap, uninteresting, and over-rated moves so that they understand that they are not all-powerful. That's step #1: Learn the move. Step #2: Understand the move. When you understand the move and where it's weaknesses are, then you'll understand how to abuse those weaknesses and thus counter them. If someone were to just try facing a shovel over and over, they'd learn very little besides moves that don't work. It's tough to explain in my own words, but I think that the article Playing To Win sums up how this is more effective than simply saying "shovel is lame, let's all not use it and it will forever be shunned upon." The only difference is that he uses the example of Tossing in Street Fighter as a replacement for the Toribash Shovel.

Also, there is no thing as "taking away skill." There is skill deterioration, but in this case your "normal" skill deteriorates while your "shovel" skill is drastically enhanced. I'm going to cover this in my guide, now that you bring it up.

Originally Posted by hippybob View Post
I think it's a bad idea to encourage people to shovel :/ I mean don't get me wrong i would still probably beat most who try to do it :P but it eliminates the fun from most of my games :P and it is a game so fun is of utmost importance ^_^

It's good that you'd beat most who try to shovel. The more people who can kick the ass out of shovelers means the less effective the shovel becomes and a more even playground the game becomes.

Originally Posted by RevengR View Post
totaly agree. no one likes shoveling, except the shoveler. the meaning with aikido isnt to win with cheap tricks such as shoveling.

That underlined statement is in Playing To Win. I highly recommend you read the first 2 paragraphs under "Introducing... the Scrub"

Originally Posted by jxc1013 View Post
I'd love to see the majority of the Aikido population begin to shovel. Then, the remaining minority would just destroy them, and everyone would stop

And this is exactly the goal I'm setting with this guide.

Originally Posted by hampa View Post
Shovels today.. something else tomorrow.

I'll be sure to cover the next thing as well.

----- Now that that's finished... -----

If anyone feels like posting replays of moves that you feel effectively counter shovels, I'll put them to the test and figure out how effective they are. You don't need to list how to do it like I do with my moves (contract x, extend y, etc.), but replays will work.

Oh, and you can perform them in single player against a dummy if you feel like it.
Last edited by Sinistah; Jan 20, 2010 at 05:50 PM.