Toribash
Original Post
Random terrible game performance
Hello, I'm here to ask for help on an issue that only I seem to have.

For a few months now, whenever I open the game, there's a high chance it'll run on terrible FPS, I know that sounds stupid but I've been dealing with this for a while and ignoring it, but even after going through most fixes nothing works.

I had the steam version, always kept it updated, but when launching the game, around 50% of the time Toribash is fixed on a super low framerate, even as low as 7-8 frames. I've gone over most fixes like I said but nothing ever worked, I've:
  • Run Toribash on a fresh install (also deleted all except the necessary mods and replays with the current version, same issue);
  • Verified integrity of game files (through steam);
  • Done /opt framerate 0, 30, 60, 75 and probably every other number you'd suggest;
  • Lowered setting presets and tampered with all of the settings;
  • Run the steam version without the steam overlay;
  • Switched to standalone (which I'm currently on, still didn't do anything);
  • Done /opt newmenu 0/1
  • Played on different display settings (windowed/fullscreen);
  • Kept all my drivers and system up to date;
  • Done multiple anti-virus scans;
  • Tried running the game with nothing else running in the background;
  • Given it max priority through task manager;
  • Played without any overlays active (GeForce Experience overlay, Overwolf, etc);
  • Played on previous versions (5.1, 5.01, 4.95, didn't have this issue on these versions).
Since I'm not sure if I explained my issue the best way, I decided to record a short video just so it's easier to understand.

short video

System specs: Windows 10, Ryzen 3 2200G, GTX 1050ti 4GB, 16GB of RAM, 1080p monitor
I can run other games more taxing than Toribash at comfortable framerates.

I have a lingering suspicion that these performance issues might be coming from versions 5.4ish and above, since that's when the new menu was introduced, but I'm still confused as to why only I seem to have this issue.

EDIT:: I forgot to mention this when I wrote the post, but I while testing stuff I also figured out that when the game is stuck on low framerate, being tabbed out makes the game 60 FPS, so this further extends the mystery

Any suggestions?
Last edited by Halu; May 17, 2022 at 11:22 PM.
EMS (Emergency Medical Services) | PT
não dói joca
Can you please make a screenshot of your Task Manager's processes tab (ctrl + alt + del, "More details", first tab) to show how much resources toribash.exe is using?
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Can you please make a screenshot of your Task Manager's processes tab (ctrl + alt + del, "More details", first tab) to show how much resources toribash.exe is using?

bad performance

good performance

Things I noticed: When the game is running well it's using more resources and its being suspended by this UWP thing that researching now, it apparently just suspends the process to make it use less RAM but doesn't affect performance.
-----
EDIT:: Tested some other stuff, sometimes the game launches well without that UWP suspension. Tried launching toribash as an administrator and with different compatibility modes and still not fixed
Last edited by Halu; May 18, 2022 at 05:56 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
não dói joca
Please do a clean installation of the Steam version, is performance still the same?
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Please do a clean installation of the Steam version, is performance still the same?

Just did it, although it seems the issue is still kind of there when I play on the high preset (the game seems to get capped at 40-50 fps from time to time), I decided to change my preset to medium, so now even if it launches with the issue it'll run at 60 fps
não dói joca