Toribash
Original Post
A wild socket wsa error appears
Hello and welcome to my tutorial on solving the socket wsa error.

There I was, playing around in Toribash, when I suddenly get disconnected from the server I was on.
So I naturally try to reconnect, and I get this:

I was like:"GREAT, what the hell is this anyway?". So I do a Bing search (pros use bing, trust me) of this socket wsa error,
and all I find are some pretty much useless threads on this here forum that didn't solve the problem for me.

First:

This was done in Windows 7, but should be easy to do in Windows XP, for other systems, check "System based differences"

Let me tell you what it's not about:
1) It is not a problem with the Internet connection or lack thereof, I know my Internet is working fine, how else would I bing that stuff?
2) I'm absolutely positive it is not a server problem, it is client-based, I know that due to the fact that the tourney I was in continued even after I was disconnected

And that sums up to 90% of what I found on the interwebz, with the rest being cat pictures & memes.

When trying a different approach, I managed to dig out a thread which I cannot seem to find again, about solving general connection problems with Toribash, and this is what actually fixed the problem for me.

PORT FORWARDING

According to my dear friend known as the Internet, port forwarding is a process in which you translate the address/port of a packet to a new destination,
thus making it possible for that packet to go through your firewall w/o any problems.

To do this, you need to adjust port forwarding of your router:

1. Find out router brand/model

Try looking around your router, it should say somewhere. I myself have a Tenda W306R.
*Check "Router model based differences" if you're having problems later on*

2. Open your router setup menu
To do this, open command prompt (start -> run(or just windows key + R) -> type in cmd and you're set) and in there, type ipconfig /all, then look for your Internet connection and search for default gateway as shown in this picture:

picture 1

*Don't close Command Prompt yet, you'll need it later.*

Now type that default gateway into your favorite browser, and you'll be greeted by a login screen.
Don't feel depressed and defeated now because you don't know the username and password, those are usually both "admin".
If not try calling your ISP or just bing it and as I said earlier, PM me what yours was, and I'll include it in this post.

3. Onward, to port forwarding!

Now what you need to do is find "Single port forwarding"/"Port Forwarding"/"Port Triggering" or something similar in there somewhere.

picture 2

And that gets you where you need to go. You will see something among these lines:

picture 3

The ports that Toribash uses are usually 20000, which should be translated to 20300 and 22000 to 22001.
Go back to Command Promt now, and find your IPv4 address, you might need that in case your router prompts you for it, mine requires the last digit.

picture 4

Hit Apply, make sure to restart Toribash and you're done, congratz!

In case that didn't work though:
Another thing you should do is add toribash.exe to your firewall exceptions.

So, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Windows Firewall.
Then find "Allow another program or feature through firewall" and then
"Allow another program" or "Exceptions" if using XP (If it's grayed out in Win 7, click "Change settings" in the top right)

R34d m3 d00d pl0x 1m 4 d1scl41m3r (Disclaimer)

System based differences

- Work In Progress -
Needs your feedback.

Router model based differences

- Work In Progress -
Needs your feedback.

F.A.Q.

- Work In Progress -
Needs your feedback.

User Input

Done by Lucantrop
Last edited by lucantrop_old; May 26, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Port forwarding has massive security risks that go along with it. If you're busy enough that you absolutely have to get on that server the instant you log on, then by all means follow this tut. If not, be wary of the shit you could get yourself into.
Preposterously dank.