Toribash
Original Post
How to Spar v2!!!
Introduction
Ok well if you don't know, sparring is realistically fighting in Toribash. Yep none of that random dance, falling and shit, just fighting like we would in real life, but in Toribash. :] It can be very easy to make an EPIC replay with sparring, you just have to be able to do it right. You can make a very good replay sometimes, and other times, you will actually fail badly.
Be sure to pay alot of attention in this tutorial.

First of all, sparring in multiplayer or singleplayer will take a while to master. Be sure to have some music to listen to ;] If you dont, i personally like this website. Its free, and it has all the music that i would want to listen to.
Controls
Well sparring is what you have come to learn huh? :P Well if you want to spar in singleplayer, you can to these settings. It is important that the gravity is set to a running level. That being -20.00 and -30.00 Here's the difference between the two, sparring in -30.00 is more ground based, and running is much easier since most people are use to running on -30.00 anyway. -20.00 on the other hand, makes it harder to run, but makes acrobatics alot easier. It depends on your' style, but I keep an even balance of the two when im playing.
Frames should be 1500 or 2000 you're looking for a long replay here.

Running

Punches and Kicks

Ok, well heres where things get fun. Punching and kicking. First off let me say something. You need to find your own style, look at Dragenons replays for example. Hees an amazing sparrer, and everything flows nice and easy. Thats his style. My style is more rugged, in your face, I'm gonna kick the shit outta you. Punching is straight forward. Imagine what your would do in real life in a fight, and then implement it into toribash. Kicking is my favorite of the two. For realism, dont contract your leg fully before kicking, it looks kinda retarded. Use your hip to kick, while your knee is relaxed. Don't extend it either, let it go through. And once you go through your kick, try to make sure you land on your feet again. Which brings me to my next part, momentum.
Momentum & Landing
Momentum is very important to sparring. You use your shoulders, chest, pecs, and legs. First off, get a run going, one step is fine, just to get forward momentum. Once you get that going, raise a leg up with the knee either held at an angle, or relaxed. Keep your arms down right now. Once your leg reaches the peak of its height (the highest its gonna go) raise your arms, and use your pecs/chest to rotate your body. It takes some practice to get the timing down, but once you get it, you can get your body to great heights. Now that you're in the air, prepare for a landing. Make sure your legs are down at all times, and you and your knees to be bent to a level that you will be able to land easily with, and you want to land on the bottom of your feet, not the corners. Glutes, and hips really help with all this. You will still have alot of momentum when you land on those feet, so i would rotate my chest the opposite way in mid air, so i can use it when i land again. Once your momentum brings you around, have your arms down, and use your chest and pecs/shoulders to get into the air again. I also use my knees if i can. Its possible like in this picture. I couldnt extend the other knee because it would look unrealistic. Once i got in mid air, i used my leg to get even more spinning momentum, and then i landed on 3 things. 2 feet, and a hand. Using momentum will make kicks, acrobatics, stunting etc. way easier in sparring. Getting into a running position is fairly easy, just use momentum to get into a spot that looks similar to a running start. Look at verax's run to see what the starting point looks like. Check out This spar with swexxelite and chreeys to see what it is like to land on your feet.

Momentum Replay: Arms momentum.rpl swexxelite & cheerys spar Swex_Chreeys Spar.rpl

TIPS Thankz dragenon ;)
TIP: Set reactiontime very high (about 50+) for an epic replay, use the time you have to experiment.

TIP: If you have already went for a good, strong punch/kick and you know the opponent is about to dodge or block it, just let it flow to make it realistic.

Knockouts, Showing, and Relaxing

A stiff replay doesn't look good right? You want to have some relax too. So what happens when you get punched extremely hard in the head or face or jaw? KNOCKOUT!!!! :P so set it up, Get punches in the face, show it, like relax all and move your neck, and part of your body to make the punch look like it had a very hard impact on your tori, then slowly fall to the ground....wait like 30 or 40 frames, then pop back up and continue fighting. Note: Dont relax all for every little tap on your head, only the VERY STRONG ones. It will look dumb if you do it too much. show alot of the impacts though, it will look realistic During every spar i'm in, i take a few moments to just relax all and continue the fight, you don't want to be holding all the joints you're not using, relax them, unless you're doing something like running or kicking, or punching. When you relax all, make sure, that if you are standing, hold some leg joints, and use your lower body to keep balance, you dont want to fall over like a dead weight, or collapse under yourself. Trust me, relaxing alot will take your replay to a whole different level of epicness.
FINALLY!! HAVE FUN!
Toribash isnt Toribash unless you are having fun Post all your spars here that you made after reading this tutorial. I hope this helped you. I will keep editing this tut whenever i come up with something worth telling you about sparring.

~Jetsnix
Attached Files
itachi seizure, death.rpl (673.0 KB, 1360 views)
Awesome spar with tsu.rpl (555.9 KB, 1325 views)
Last edited by WorldEater; Nov 2, 2017 at 09:57 PM.
hmm i personally dont like using 30.00 grav i use 20.00 instead cos 9.82 is easier to do stuff but 30.00 is realistic and 20.00 is the best of both but thats just me
[Pure], wanna join?
Originally Posted by weed33 View Post
hmm i personally dont like using 30.00 grav i use 20.00 instead cos 9.82 is easier to do stuff but 30.00 is realistic and 20.00 is the best of both but thats just me

added, i use -30 bcaus thts in running.tbm
Originally Posted by weed33 View Post
yeah but u said it as if its the only grav u can use

check it now
Great tutorial Jetsnix. I hate when people ask what sparring is. This should clear it up for them.
BAD LUCK
Not sure if you have this or not but I do this very often.

TIP: Set reactiontime very high (about 50+) for an epic replay, use the time you have to experiment.

TIP: If you have already went for a good, strong punch/kick and you know the opponent is about to dodge or block it, just let it flow to make it realistic.

Also, +rep
Last edited by Dragenon; May 19, 2010 at 04:16 PM.
[Death Plague] | RL | ORMO | PwN |Dragenon's Realistic spars thread