Ranking
Original Post
Shader Speeds
If nothing else, I'm just curious as to whether the FPS I'm getting with shaders is normal for my computer.

Basically a fresh install of Vista 64

4 GB 800DDR RAM
Intel Core 2 e6850
nVidia 8800 GTS

And yeah, just trying to guage what my machine should be running it at with shaders on at 640x480.

I get usually 30-45 FPS.

Also it's running in a window.
That is very interesting.

My specs are nearly the saem with:
2 GB Corsair ram (overclocked)
Asus P5W Motherboard (hints on overclocking anybody ?)
Intel Core Duo 2 E6660 (best cpu EVER, also overclocked)
nVidia 8800 GTS 640mb (yeah... overclocked)

I can run Toribash on 1028x900 (something like that) and my FPS doesn't drop below 50 unless there's some major ass grabbing going on.

Have you got your graphics card drivers up to date?
don't unban, he has hard coded userid bypasses everywhere.
-MASSIVE EDIT-

New drivers weren't the problem, but thanks for reminding me to update them!

My e6850 is running at 3.15 GHz currently, but the rest is stock speed.
Very strange. Do you think it's Vista or perhaps the fact that it's 64-bit?
Unlike many people I've basically encountered no compatibility issues with Vista64 whatsoever so far.

Also games like Crysis work on high without any hitches and barely any slowdowns whatsoever.
Last edited by MrTopHat; Nov 21, 2007 at 12:45 AM.
Yesterday (20.11) we released Toribash 3.05 .
We optimized the graphics, and it's possible to cancel some of the graphics features to have better performance (in the setup).
I saw that you joined yesterday, did you download and play that version ?
Just to put in some input.

The shaders now work for me.

seems the problem with just putting it on shaders was, the shadow and fluid blood froze/mega-lagged. if you turn those off it should work for you. as long as you have a good enough card.
-------------------------------
shaders actually work on 60+ w/frame skip
50-60 w/ot frame skip
No I was actually playing 3.04.

After scouring the forums for that little issue involving finding invisible replays in compatibility files, I uninstalled 3.04 and installed 3.05. There is no change in speed whether or not I enable/disable soft shadows or reflections or fluid blood.

Still sitting around 40 FPS most of the time. There are moments however (in both versions) where I am at 60 FPS. Very strange.

At this very moment, there seems to be a pattern.
For example, in the replay 1heelpower.rpl, it starts at 60 FPS until Nokturnal bends over, then it drops to around 30 FPS until he jumps, then it's 60 again. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to slow down specifically during large amounts of blood or anything.
Last edited by MrTopHat; Nov 21, 2007 at 05:08 AM.
GOD! i want youre PC MrTopHat! :O

btw, i have a pentium 4 3.0 ghz
2gb ddr2 ram
and a ati radeon sphire 1650 512Mb

and it works at 40-55 or 60 fps
When there are more collisions, the physics calculations for each frame increase. That's why sometimes the framerate drops.
UPDATE

In the heeldrop example I used, I don't get 60 FPS, it starts at about 42, trops to like 22 and then goes back up to 42. I'm not sure if getting 60 before was just my imagination or if it has changed since then.

In the case of the replay in which I described, there are no parts colliding other than his own, unless parts bending would contribute significantly?

While he jumps and heel drops his target, the FPS is constant 40-45 all throughout, which is the FPS that is measured when the replay starts, even with the blood the connected hit, his feet touching together behind him and any other collisions made by Uke's body.

Hrm. Also, a sidenote, is it normal for my models' shadows to be rendered as separate shadows for each part that blend together?

For example, if I have the lighting so hard edged shadows are produced, instead of one shade for the entire body being produced, there will be one made for each body segment and in any area where the shadow overlaps another one it will be a darker shade.

The shadow problem however does not occur if shaders are disabled.

EDIT

On a second runthrough, without restarting or closing any programs, I achieved 60 FPS at the start and end of the 1heeldrop.rpl once again, dropping to 35 when he bends over. Seems to be random. Nothing else appears to be bogging down my computer in task manager or anything either.

Even running the game at a res as small as 320x240, the FPS is exactly the same, so it is unlikely to be a GPU problem regarding speed.

Could it possibly be related to Vista 64?
Last edited by MrTopHat; Nov 22, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
Thats odd. I'm running an old AMD 3500 64 processor
with a shity motherboard and an nVidia 8800gts 640mb with a 1024x768 window with full shaders and getting a consistent 60 fps unless its trbuchet mod.
i have a totally post modern tattoo of a scalene triangle.
<DeadorK> fair maiden
<DeadorK> if the cum is going to be in your mouth
<DeadorK> it shall be in mine as well