Toribash
Original Post
"Try a re-install" is not advice or solution.
I labeled this with a "Rant" icon because it's not really support. It's a rant about alot of "community based support" given.

(Toribash's support team doesnt seem to do this..dont misinterpret)

But, giving out the advice (first off), similar to "Try reinstalling the software", is not offering a solution in most cases. In most cases, following such an advice only leaves the user spending bandwith and time; ending up having the exact problem and in worst case loss of data.

And even if a re-install works for an individual user; the opportunity to discover why the problem arises is lost; leaving developers and users clueless to the cause of it, mistakes made, and works against figuring out a good approach on how to fix it permanently and preventing the problem from reoccurring.

This applies to Toribash, Windows or any other software; reformatting or reinstalling should only be given as a last resort measure for attempting to make any software work. It's the worst suggested workaround possible, for all parties, and more often than not does not solve the issue(s) anyway.

My "2 cents".
Last edited by DuckHuntP; Aug 28, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Originally Posted by DuckHuntP View Post
I labeled this with a "Rant" icon because it's not really support. It's a rant about alot of "community based support" given.

But, giving out the advice (first off), similar to "Try reinstalling the software", is not offering a solution in most cases. In most cases, following such an advice only leaves the user spending bandwith and time; ending up having the exact problem and in worst case loss of data.

Reinstalling actually fixes problems with the local game files, so would solve most problems that are not hardware issues.

And even if a re-install works for an individual user; the opportunity to discover why the problem arises is lost; leaving developers and users clueless to the cause of it, mistakes made, and works against figuring out a good approach on how to fix it permanently and preventing the problem from reoccurring.

Most of the problems on the board are problems with the computer communicating to the game.... if there are many reports of an issue, then the dev will step in. Often the devs will not be able to do anything about it, cause some or other shady program you downloaded interfered with the game files and the registry.

This applies to Toribash, Windows or any other software; reformatting or reinstalling should only be given as a last resort measure for attempting to make any software work. It's the worst suggested workaround possible, for all parties, and more often than not does not solve the issue(s) anyway.

My "2 cents".

Unless it is a large game (in excess of a gig) then re-installing is the first option, unless there is a know fix, because is does not
leave the user spending bandwith and time

because the game is small.

Next time please research why people tell you to re-install the game, Before ranting about it.

Hi, as mentioned, it's not really Support thread and I will close it, but my words before it:

1) Reinstalling software seriously help in many cases (you claim the opposite, but you are simply wrong on this). There is a reason why many companies offer "reinstall software / try turning it off and on / another_solution_like_this" as default one. Percentage of cases where it's enough is just that high.
2) Many users aren't able to provide accurate enough explanation what doesn't work for them
3) Many troubles are results of users actions which shouldn't take place (moving files around / deleting them) and if it happens, it's not really thing that should be researched that well
4) Lastly, most of users need fast help. Even if reinstalling isn't perfect solution- if it works, they'll be happy.

Also note that there is argument that we'd need army of devs if we wanted to research every report hard enough to find accurate reason, and it might be not worth it, but I don't have accurate data on this so I am not going to issue it as valid point (as it's shit point if I can't back it up with actual data). We are gathering data on the most common problems and forward them to devs, if they feel it may be reason of any mistake- they'll totally take care of it (including researching cases posted by users).

Going to close it as it's not Support, but I hope now it is clear enough.

P.S: Wasting data/ bandwith is not a problem in most of countries anymore. And Toribash installer isn't that big.
Last edited by Thrandir; Aug 29, 2015 at 03:15 PM.