Toribash
Original Post
[Tut] Toribash Video Making: More than just editing
This post is meant to cover how I sync and the involvement of editing of Toribash to add more than after effects

General organization and sync

Music Selection

I choose music first. It's the only thing you have the least control over and sets the mood for the entire video. It needs to have distinctive enough sections so that the viewer won't be presented with the same sort of material for too long, or else the music has to be short enough so the viewer won't be bored. I don't just start adding content though. First, I review the song probably 5 times, first getting overall sections, then splitting them into smaller sections. For Promotional Toribash Video, I had set up a sequence layer. I edit the video to sync to this layer and then remove the layer when I'm all done. The letters are an outline form of what I intend to place into the video.

Music Outline Rules

For camera, lower sections are not allowed to do what parent sections do. Large sections generally stick to one style of camera movement, e.g. from lock on target, smooth flight, static angles, and when major sections change, transitions or full frame changes to new scenes are made. Medium sections generally denote a change in camera momentum/direction and stay within a general topic/scene. Small sections generally denote individual contact (punch/kick/dismember), flashes, shakes.

Replays

For sync

Replays generally fit a medium section. I count the number of small sections and select replays that have the appropriate amount of hits. Timing of the replay can be synced to fit the sections laid out.

Special tricks

When overlaying two replays recorded by the same camera path, I record one instance with the game clock HUD on and one off. You can align replays together by the game clock, even if the sections will be time stretched. This is how I do the transition in Inquisition Clan Video.

Replays can also be stitched together by editing the file. You can copy the end position of Tori and start a new replay with Tori starting in that position. See Toribash: Attacked.

Mod Editing

Mods altering physics or containing invisible instagib obstacles. Dramatic events on demand! ToriVideo Twist and Shout

Editing mod obstacles to alter their appearances. Clan 42 Video

Don't forget Atmosphere script. You can do more than just add background.

Textures

Yes, you can make new sets, but you can also greenscreen parts of textures. DAT Chronicles

Conclusion

There's more to edit than just the captured video. These things can really make your videos stand out. It's not a comprehensive list, but enough to give ideas on how to make that special touch.
Last edited by FNugget; Sep 8, 2013 at 01:35 AM.