Toribash
Original Post
How to spar (Because there aren't enough how to spar threads)
Hello! I will be breaking this tutorial down in installments. Pm me if I'm missing some stuff and I need some tips and quotes from a few good sparrers.

Before reading on, read these:

Don't kee the chat quiet. Talk to your partner what you will do.

Always tell youyr partner if you're gonna hit them. Make sure they allow you to hit him/her.

Tell your partner what you're going to do.

Section one: Everything you meed to know in a spar.

Section One installment 1: The settings

Things can differ between a good and bad sparring replay. The most important things are the gravity, Dismember, fracture, disqualification and the reaction time. The most common options are a long engage distance, long frames, no dismember, faction nor disqualification, -20.00 to -30.000 gravity and a long reaction time. You can change the options and experiment with the options but the most important options that you should keep are the gravity, reaction time and the dismember and fracture. Disqualification is not recommended but if you want to challenge yourself to keep your balance and not loose your balance, no one is stopping you.

Section one installment 2: Style

Style is one of the most important things about sparring. How you attack, get to your partner, how you block and how you move can make your sparring either unique or just the same. Everyone has their own style. No one has a limit to their style. Many different styles are given to people. Some are easy learners, some are natural and some need to work hard. Sparring is a beautiful art of toribash. Nothing is impossible within sparring. Heck even if you suck at sparring, you will becoome like the famous one day. You just need to find your inner style.

Basic running tips as requested by shawncolin

Section one installment 3: Balance

Sparring all depends if you can balance or not. If you can't balance yourself you can't spar. It's just something everyone needs to know how to do. There are many ways of getting balance. The most simple one is bending your knees slightly and moving them apart from each other. This is known as a horse stance. This is extremely simple and I doubt even a beginner can't do a horse stance. This stance can be used in almost every situation you're in. Wether it is attacking, jumping, landing or even a starter position! It can handle any situatin you're in

More about balance

Section one installment 4: Contacts

Contacts are when you get to your partner to do all the 'action'. It's pretty ovious with what you need to do but some people don't know how to act. Try keeping a small distance but not too far where you can't do a simple punch when you hit him. Try watching a few battle scenes from movies (Hand to hand combat specifically) and see how they move. Do they move away from their oponent at some random moment? If you do find yourself in a situation where you see your ghost moving away from your oponent, try moving the leg a bit that is farther away from your opponent. When I'm in the air, what I normally do is contract the glute that is farther away from my opponent and contract my ankle. Once I landed, I hold my glute but if it is straight, I extend it. I also extend my ankle, extend my hip and come back to my opponent.

Originally Posted by Mocucha View Post

Contacts management :

When you are about to get a shot, it is very dangerous to change his move for something fast. In fact, you can make quite ugly view contact (touching shoulder instead of the head, for example) just because you have changed at the last moment. If you see that your opponent is going to touch you in 10 to 20 frames, do not change too much (for that, you must acquire the vision of the game, of course), remain passive until the shot is given. Remain passive does not want more say do not move like a man paralyzed. In a spar normally happens, the one that hit announced his shot, which also allows you to be aware of it.

With experience, you will be able to determine how many frames your shot will take for touching, as it is sometimes necessary to exchange the turnframes to a value less than 10. If you are willing to give such a blow to someone which lands a jump, put 5 frames not only to be sure to hit properly (while not losing his own balance, of course) but also to relax in maximum arm strikes to avoid losing his balance to that takes the hit.

When you're not sure of the result of a contact, do not hesitate to turnframes one to see the result and act accordingly.

Finally, I repeat, have to deal with someone who seems invincible despite repeated blows to his nose seems to mean that this person does not have a great vision of the game. Before pressing space, before changing your movement, move the camera, look at what the other is doing, how the move will affect you. If you see he's about to jump (or better, he tells you) and you're given a side kick, try to pass below, use its movement to create a beautiful dodge movement.

Section one installment 5: Realism and flow

Sparring, as you know, is about making a good realistic fight. People sometimes find this hard and they think it's all about the chest, the pecs and the legs. They are wrong. Look at sme movie fighting action. Do their arms look like they are in a 'T' formation? No they don't. Do they look like they are fighting like a robot? No. Your question may be 'How do I make it so that I don't look like a robot?'. Well your answer is to relax and hold as much as possible. Every turn, try finding the joints you don't need for what you are going to do and relax them. Making a punch or a kick? Relax the elbow to make a smooth punch and when you get your leg off the ground, relax the hip you are using to kick with. This both makes flow and realism.

Section one installment 6: Making hits rough

Think about it. When someone gets hit in the face hard, does he just treat it like nothing happened to him or does he get knocked out a bit? Try doing that when you get hit in he head real hard. Relax all is what I normally do. Nearly out of frames? Do a final hit! Discuss it through the chat, who's doing the final hit. When you finally agree, the partner that get's hit doesn't just relax all, make it look like he got hit really hard! Get your partner that's gonna get hit in the face get ready for a jump. Don't make it obvious he's gonna jump though. When he get's hit in the head, jump and raise shoulders! See what happens...

Last edited by Nagato; Apr 30, 2013 at 04:52 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
click my sig for a great time (WIP)
im smoking weed out of a pussy filled with money i like this
Thanks

Edit: Finished Section One.
Last edited by Nagato; Apr 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
put in : when you get hit hard, try to act drunk/weak for a moment for about 10-30 frames?
Simple Doesn't Mean Its Easy
Good Job Man! Also, maybe add some pics of the horse stance so people can see what it is.
I will...

I just need to get in game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would like to contribute :

Contacts management :

When you are about to get a shot, it is very dangerous to change his move for something fast. In fact, you can make quite ugly view contact (touching shoulder instead of the head, for example) just because you have changed at the last moment. If you see that your opponent is going to touch you in 10 to 20 frames, do not change too much (for that, you must acquire the vision of the game, of course), remain passive until the shot is given. Remain passive does not want more say do not move like a man paralyzed. In a spar normally happens, the one that hit announced his shot, which also allows you to be aware of it.

With experience, you will be able to determine how many frames your shot will take for touching, as it is sometimes necessary to exchange the turnframes to a value less than 10. If you are willing to give such a blow to someone which lands a jump, put 5 frames not only to be sure to hit properly (while not losing his own balance, of course) but also to relax in maximum arm strikes to avoid losing his balance to that takes the hit.

When you're not sure of the result of a contact, do not hesitate to turnframes one to see the result and act accordingly.

Finally, I repeat, have to deal with someone who seems invincible despite repeated blows to his nose seems to mean that this person does not have a great vision of the game. Before pressing space, before changing your movement, move the camera, look at what the other is doing, how the move will affect you. If you see he's about to jump (or better, he tells you) and you're given a side kick, try to pass below, use its movement to create a beautiful dodge movement.

My Youtube channel : Mocucha Toribash