Toribash
Original Post
[Tex] Luigi
Hello everyone,

So I got a request to do a Luigi head, from Super Mario Bros.
So I started on this thing half an hour ago, and wanted to get some pointers and such.
Its currently in one of those WIPish/"Gah, do I really have to go on" states....lol.

Heres a lil preview of it:

Here's a regular pic, since the gif is nasty as usual...

So ya, let me know what I did wrong, what I did ok, and what totally sucks.
Please no number ratings though, I have no idea what those are supposed to mean....
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best. I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left.
Originally Posted by joshyjojo View Post
its okay but the mapping is horrible add some depth in it

Thanks for the tips, but could you elaborate a bit? If you mean that the cap is high and the mouth low, I did that because Luigi's face is kind-of long, but you know, I'm not the best at mapping.

Originally Posted by filipe994 View Post
Hahaha funny animation
I like the head, but yeah fix the seam and it will be perfect

Haha, thanks. I actually added to seam on purpose because I had that idea for the Gif ;)
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best. I've been gone for a month, I've been drunk since I left.
Luigi's hat lacks depth. The depth you attempted to create in it does not look true. Work more with the shading. Your color transitions in shading are noticeable enough to make it look plasticy. Also, since when do sideburns/mustaches leave drop shadows? :P

Don't use blending effects the way they are, work with them and make them look nicer.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Luigi's hat lacks depth. The depth you attempted to create in it does not look true. Work more with the shading. Your color transitions in shading are noticeable enough to make it look plasticy. Also, since when do sideburns/mustaches leave drop shadows? :P

Don't use blending effects the way they are, work with them and make them look nicer.

Ah, thanks for the pointers. I'll see what I can do about the hat.
Also, I actually have quite a distinguished mustacheee myself, and it does leave a lil shadow if the lighting is correct ;) But ya, thanks for pointing that out, I just noticed that I painted the drop shadow for the sideburns all wonky and crooked....and I don't have any side burns for reference, so I'll be removing those.

Edit: Oh, and since I use Sketchbook for all these for fun drawings and paintings, blending and drop shadows and all that fancy stuff is pretty limited, or non existing. I have a few blending modes, but they don't work that great...
Last edited by Jebus; Sep 6, 2011 at 02:46 AM.
Originally Posted by jebus903 View Post
Ah, thanks for the pointers. I'll see what I can do about the hat.
Also, I actually have quite a distinguished mustacheee myself, and it does leave a lil shadow if the lighting is correct ;) But ya, thanks for pointing that out, I just noticed that I painted the drop shadow for the sideburns all wonky and crooked....and I don't have any side burns for reference, so I'll be removing those.

Edit: Oh, and since I use Sketchbook for all these for fun drawings and paintings, blending and drop shadows and all that fancy stuff is pretty limited, or non existing. I have a few blending modes, but they don't work that great...

I suggest you use photoshop(not endorsing piracy, get a trial version). As for the shape of the sideburns, just entirely remove the shadow. It is nearly impossible to get the shadow of that kind of shape perfect, even with something like photoshop doing it for you, it'd never fit.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I suggest you use photoshop(not endorsing piracy, get a trial version). As for the shape of the sideburns, just entirely remove the shadow. It is nearly impossible to get the shadow of that kind of shape perfect, even with something like photoshop doing it for you, it'd never fit.

I do own photoshop, actually several versions. One even came with my Intuos4. But I generally prefer to just casually paint in sketchbook, although Photoshop might get slightly better results. I tend to just use it when I need it for work.
Also, I just removed the shadow for the sideburns, it does look better, although it removes some of the "depth" that some guy in here was talking about ;)
nice, now all you need to do is make an awesome mario head and your set to go?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Happy Halloween!!!!!
[u]Ultimate | Team Shit-ido | National GayTerrorist Club |Photoshop Corp.
ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS ELVIS---BootyShorts
R.I.P UNDEAD21, Beta, and Assazin
Originally Posted by UNDEAD21 View Post
nice, now all you need to do is make an awesome mario head and your set to go?

Haha, I might make some of the other characters, but not Mario. There's already a Mario head in the Head Texture Expo, and as far as I know, there isn't/aren't many other Nintendo Character heads floating around.