Toribash
Original Post
Bumpmap texture
How does it works..?
I mean what are the diference from a bumpmap texture and a normal texture..
I have one and looks very weird
OSHI | BISH | TLL
Death is so sure of victory, which gives us a life of advantage
Bumpmap textures are texture add-ons sorta that add a bumpy texture. Kind of like a elevated or indent effect does to an orange.

the sphere to the left does not have a bumpmap texture.

The middle picture is the bumpmap texture.

The bumpmap texture is added to the sphere to make it look like an orange.

You can use bumpmap textures to add a popping out effect like it does in the orange displayed in the picture.

Thats what a bumpmat texture does. There are tutorials around the forum that teach you how to make one.
IIRC ours are actually normal maps, so they need to have more than just white/black

Colour
+

Normals
=
3d looking
Gorman i can't see the 3d looking xS
Try to upload it agan please..
-----
Also i got a very annoying problem i cant delte the bumpmap texture of my head
T_T what i have to do
dl me and lp 1 me and see for yourself.. even if i deactivate it and even if i send it to another person it stay... haalp!
Last edited by gLawlFreak; May 30, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
OSHI | BISH | TLL
Death is so sure of victory, which gives us a life of advantage
I didn't post a 3d looking picture, because it just makes it look like a face, and i think you have seen faces in real life anyway

Try replacing the bumpmap texture with a plain white texture, that should remove it.
The best way to remove them is to make a full alpha image & upload it.
(full white still effects the texture slightly)

Or you could just disable the item & delete the .tga for it from your custom folder.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Ahhhh, finally my background in 3D work is actually helping out!

A bump or normal map (not technically called a texture, but it is a laymans term) changes the positions and directions of the Normal vectors. This essentially does nothing more than changing the way light effects the surface.

Gormons example is perfectely fine. By using those 2 together on the head texture and the head bump map, you get a much more 3D look. It can be used to make things seem a lot more realistic (especially when combined well with shading, for example the very hard "differences" in the 3D aspect of most Robotic head textures. A little normal mapping and suddenly it can improve the image 10 fold)

Normal maps can be difficult to make though, but with free 3D apps (like Blender 3D, www.blender.org) hanging around the place the job can become a LOT easier.
I am in Love with my Vacuum :)
And if you click right here He will love you too!