Toribash
Original Post
The best value for money parts.
I'm interested in what the best value for money parts for computers are, this is difficult to measure, complex, changes per country and comes with many foot notes, but by limiting the scope to something sane such as UK/USA market, and allow for certain specifics then I think we can get a pretty good list going. I'd like to ad to this if you guys have any suggestions.

Starting this off I've looked into GPU's and CPU's and determined the following are the best money for power out there:

CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 631
Price as reviewed: £58.36
The Athlon 631, a new FM1 socket CPU which is a fusion core with the GPU disabled, is vastly superior to the competition in terms of price to performance, plus being one of the cheapest quad cores on the market, on a new and rich motherboard socket, and with its GPU disabled able to overclock by > 1.4GHz on top of it's clock, it's also as feature rich as anyone needs. I'm doubtful that we will see something this good for performance/money even without its ability to overclock for a while.

GPU: AMD Radeon HD6850
Runner up: Nvidia 560 Ti
Price as reviewed: £88.42
While the 6850 isn't as feature rich as the 560 Ti (Runner up), for instance lacking the ability to have full screen MSAA at some common resolutions, it is quick and cheep, and able to play most of the games you'll want to play at 1080HD. If you however need to play Metro 2033 with very high settings you will need to look into the 560 Ti.

Some components really can't have a reasonable price for performance measurement, for instance cases, and some products may need to be categorised, for instance modular, and non modular PSU's, however I believe we can establish sound reasons for selecting the most convenient build and get the whole thing selected. For cases we might need to establish basic needs that a series of cases would for-fill, as an example of how we might handle this. Also on a side note my guess is that the resulting computer will cost around £600 to £700, based on my own research into the other parts we could fit to this set-up.
Last edited by Vox; Mar 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM.